Thursday, January 22, 2009
Fire Alarm
On Monday morning, around 10:00, we had a bit of a scare at our apartment. Daniel was sick, so he was still sleeping. Drew was down for his morning nap, and Erik and Lily were watching a cartoon, so I decided to go lay down for a bit. I was drifting in and out of sleep when suddenly I awoke to the sound of the fire alarm blaring. I jumped off the bed, yelled at Daniel, and ran out to see what was going on. I didn't smell smoke, or see anything alarming. Drew was still sleeping, so I got him up. I found Erik under his covers, covering his ears, crying. Lily was doing the same thing as Erik, but she was out on the couch. Daniel went outside and saw our neighbor going outside with his dogs. I tried to calm the kids down, then headed outside myself. Our neighbor was coming back in and told me what was going on. Apparently, the stupid maintenance workers were trying to clean out the outside hallway. There is a door at either end, leading to stairs. The door to the stairs on our side of the building was closed. They had been using a leafblower, and apparently all the dust, smoke, and other stuff caused the the fire alarm to go off. They shut it off after about 5 minutes, but the kids were upset for the next hour. No one came around and explained what happened. Needless to say, I was now fully awake. Lily talked about how loud it was for the rest of the day, and how it scared her. Hopefully, we don't ever have that kind of excitement again! Maybe the brilliant maintenance guys will at least open both doors next time they "try" to clean out the halls and stairwells. (They didn't do a very good job.)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 comment:
That's what we taught our kids: if you hear a fire alarm, climb under the blankets and cover your ears. Sounds like it's time for a drill.
Post a Comment