Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Denver Children's Museum


Last night the Denver Children's Museum was free between 4 and 8pm. I decided I wanted to take the kids. I really debated doing this because Daniel had to work, which meant I would have to take all 3 kids by myself. I knew it would be insane! Drew was in the stroller most of the night, which helped, but Erik and Lily were still free to wander off. I warned them over and over of the importance of staying by me and not going off alone. We got there about 4:30 and it was filling up quickly. It was insane inside, but really cool. We stayed for about two hours, but my camera died after the first two exhibits. Here are a few pictures I was able to get.

The fire truck







The Storybook Playscape
This is awesome for babies and toddlers!
This exhibit looks like a little forest village. There are areas just for infants with mobiles, stuffed animals, and mirrors. There is also a little slide, a cottage, a shop, a garden, a cave, and other little areas to explore. You have to take your shoes off because there are places intended for kids to crawl.








Lily in the little bunkbed in the cottage.


The cottage, which was very crowded!



Other playscapes we visited:

Making the team: This exhibit had a little basketball court with lower hoops. Erik loved this. There are also displays about making healthy choices, growing, exercise, and different heartbeats.

Click Clack Train Track
: This area had a bunch of wooden train tables, tracks, and trains and allows kids to build their own railways. Lily really enjoyed this exhibit, as did Drew.

My Market: Both kids liked this playscape. It was a little store with kid size shopping carts and a checkout register. Kids can shop and take turns buying the food or being the cashier. There is also a little kitchen/cafe. Parents can order the "food" and the kids are the chefs. There's even a menu to order from. Lily didn't want to leave this area.

Under My Feet, Over My Head: This is supposed to look like a magnified back yard. It's designed to help kids become more observant to the world around them. There are costumes kids can put on while crawling through the "worm hole" or playing in the bird's nest or climbing the tree. I saw kids wearing worm, chipmunk, and bird costumes. I know there were a lot of others as well. There was also areas to do puzzles, color, read, or use stamps. We didn't do any of that because it was too crowded.

Ready, Vet, Go! The kids dressed up like vets and gave check-ups to various stuffed animals. They had lots of doctor sets with bandages, stethescopes, etc. There were cages for the animals, x-rays to look at, and a computer desk for check out.

There were a few areas we didn't get to investigate because of time and large crowds: The Assembly Plant, Arts a la Carte, and the alphabet wall. Erik really wanted to go into the assembly plant where you can build objects using tools and recycled household objects. This one was always crowded. It would have been too hard for me to help him build something, entertain Lily, and keep Drew happy in the stroller. We'll have to do this one next time we go. Arts a la Carte lets children paint, act, put on puppet shows, sing, etc. This area was always crowded too.

When I told Erik and Lily it was time to leave they begged to stay longer. Erik told me he wanted to stay there all night. I told him I was hungry and Drew was tired, so we'd come back another day. Next time I'll take them during the day so it won't be as crowded. The kids did really well about staying near me.
Only once did I have a scare: I told Erik to get Lily out of the market so we could go to the backyard area. He walked over to her, I looked down at Drew, I looked back up and saw Lily, but not Erik. I looked throughout the store, and in the exhibits right around me. No luck. I quickly got Lily and slowly started to walk toward the assembly plant. I happened to look behind me and I saw him coming out of the backyard area. I told him he couldn't leave without me because it scared me! He didn't do it again. Luckily it was Erik who wandered off and not Lily. Erik is more cautious and if he doesn't see us, he'll come back to find us. However, Lily doesn't. She'll just keep going, whether she sees us or not. She wouldn't have come back to find me, at least not as quickly.
Anyway, I'm glad we went, but I don't think I'll go to free night again. At least, I won't take the kids by myself. It's definitely a two person job. It's too hard to interact with the kids in the different exhibits when I have to watch Drew as well. It's absolutely a must visit attraction for anyone with kids who comes to Denver. We want to buy a family pass, which is good for a year. It's only around $80, which would be the same as our family visiting three times.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I thought you had 2 scares. :)

Mick and Tiff said...

Sounds fun. I like the children's museum here as well. BTW- Happy Birthday today!!!

Jennifer said...

looks fun, we'll have to go when we make it out that way to visit.