Last fall I took the training wheels off Erik's bike and tried to teach him how to ride a 2-wheeler. This flopped for a few reasons: Erik just wasn't ready to ride without training wheels, he didn't want to try and I just do NOT have the patience to teach him. We lasted about 10 minutes, then we were both too frustrated to continue. Last week we had a few nice days. Erik is just about too big for his bike. We're going to have to get him a new one before the summer, but the bigger bikes don't come with training wheels. I figured now that he's 6 and can touch the ground without any trouble while riding it was a good time to try again. It took a little bit, but we were both ready this time: he was ready/willing to try and I was more patient. I gave him some pointers and after a few time running beside him and holding the seat I was able to let go without him falling! The first few times was frustrating because he kept putting his foot down right away. He also kept turning the handlebars then getting upset because the bike was tipping. We had a little discussion about steering and staying upright and tried again. ( I don't know why he thought steering without training wheels was different, but oh well.) We had success, and he was even able to start on his own a few times!! We only lasted about 30 minutes before he was getting too frustrated/tired/whiny but he did it! No more training wheels for Erik. Just a little more practice and he'll be a pro! Sorry the video is a bit shaky: it was a little windy and I was trying to zoom in and follow him. If you get motion sickness you may want to use caution. :)
Way to go Erik! We're so proud of you!
3 comments:
Way to go ERIK! That is awesome. You are going to have such a fun summer!
That's awesome! I told Stanton about it and said maybe when he is six we'll take his training wheels off. He told me or maybe when I'm like eight mom!
We need to get out there and practice some more. We haven't been able to go back out since that day. We got that yucky weather not long after.
Post a Comment