Saturday, December 12, 2009

Busy, Busy, Busy

Well, I haven't been able to post as often as I'd like because for the past two weeks I have been subbing almost every day. I subbed as an aide the day before and the day after Thanksgiving break in the preschool class next to Lily's. They have preschool Tuesdays-Fridays. So, on Tuesday Lily's teacher came in and asked if I wanted to sub in Lily's class the next two days as an aide. I did and had a great time. Friday morning, 20 minutes before school started, Lily's school called and asked if I could come in and sub for Kim (Lily's teacher) because she was in a car accident. (She's ok, just has some whiplash.) I said yes, but I was sitting in sweats and hadn't showered for the day. I made it to school right as the bell rang. This past week I've been subbing as an aide in Lily's class and I'm doing it again next week. It's been tough working almost full time again. Drew's getting used to it, but he's used to me being home all day. I only wanted to work a few days a week. But, since I'm an aide it's easier because the teacher is in the room, so I'm not really the one in charge. I just play with the kids and help get things ready for centers. I'm working as much as I can because there haven't been a whole lot of sub jobs, other than ESL at high schools, which I don't really want to do. If the aide in Lily's class isn't better after Christmas her teacher's going to call me and I'll continue working in Lily's class. I enjoy it because I get to see Lily in a different environment, which helps me appreciate her more when I'm home.

This year we're starting a new Christmas tradition in our family. Even before we had kids I always wanted the Christmas season to focus more on Christ, family and service. I never wanted it to be about how much stuff we get. We don't have a lot of money to spend on presents, and the kids have tons of toys anyway...we're running out of space for them. In the December 2008 friend I found an activity that lists 25 stories about Jesus in the scriptures. Most days we only read about 5 verses, but the stories start with his birth and continue through his life. The kids enjoy reading about Jesus and seeing the accompanying picture. Then, after we read the little story, we turn over an activity for that day. It's like a homemade advent calendar. The activities listed on the cards are easy and free, but it allows us to spend time together. The kids love it! Some of the things we've done so far: play doh, watching a Christmas parade on tv, going to the Botanic Gardens, decorating cookies, coloring, playing games and going to the library. Each day Erik will ask if we can read the story from the scriptures. One day he was so excited he got out the Friend and the scriptures and tried to look up the day's verse. So cute. This is something I'd love to do each year. I don't have any pictures because Daniel's usually at work and I'm playing with the kids.

Merry Christmas everyone! I hope you are able to enjoy the season, remember the Savior, spend time with family and keep the stress levels to a minimum. We love you all and wish we could see you more often.

No comments: