Friday, November 6, 2009

Dragon Dash


Waiting for the race to start.


Erik's class stretching. He's to the left of the boy in the long sleeve red shirt.

Today was the 10th annual Emerald Elementary Dragon Dash. For those of you from Murray, it's similar to the Turkey Trot, according to Daniel. The weather today was perfect! Sunny and in the low 70s. It worked out well because the dash was supposed to take place last Friday, when we had all the snow. Good thing we waited! The upper grades ran around the school, through the park, to the fire station and back. The kindergarten ran around the school. Erik started in front, ran down the street on the east side of the school to the field, across the field behind the school, up the street on the west side and back to the starting line. They were the last to start so they didn't get trampled. Good thinking on the school's part. We watched him warm up and then start. We then went over to the west side of the school to cheer him on to the finish line. I told him it was ok to walk if he got tired. He looked at me and said, "I want to run the whole way!" I didn't watch the entire race, but he was still running at the end, so I'm pretty sure he ran the whole way. He came in near the front of the kindergarteners, which was great considering he started near the back of the pack.


More stretching.


Lily copying Erik's class.


Waiting for the other grades to start. He's in the middle, behind the girl in the red shirt.


On your mark, get set....


GO! Erik is right under the R.


Coming around the last corner. Way to go! He's even smiling still.


Almost done! He looks like he's jumping.

While Erik was running, Lily was playing over on the playground with some of the kids in the preschool. After all the other kids were finished, the preschool kids ran from the last corner to the finish line; about half a block. As they were gathering up the kids, they asked how old Lily was. When Daniel told them she was in preschool, she was invited to run with the kids. She wanted to, so she lined up with them. When they started running, she looked kind of unsure and was looking up at everyone as she walked. I could tell she was a bit nervous, so I went out to run with her in my flip flops. Then she started laughing and had a great time!


The after race snack of oranges and water.


The preschool lining up. Lily is in the striped shirt in the left group of kids.


GO! This is right before I went out to run with her.


All smiles after the race.

I'm so proud of both Erik and Lily. They did their best and didn't give up. We're working really hard to teach them good sportsmanship and that it's ok if you don't win all the time.

No comments: