Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Halloween Activities


The view outside our apartment on Sunday, 2 days after getting 20 inches of snow. Love it!

This year for Halloween Erik chose to be Darth Vader and Lily chose to be a pumpkin. I may have mentioned this before, but I couldn't find a pumpkin costume in children sizes, only infants. So, I decided I'd have to make Lily's costume. I found an orange body pillowcase on clearance at Wal- Mart, along with green and black felt, which were only $.20 per sheet. I was able to make her costume for $5 and a few hours of time. It worked perfectly for the evening. It will continue to work well for dress-up. She was so cute. I thought about making Erik's costume, but I found it at Wal-Mart for $15 and I decided it was worth it to just buy his costume. Drew's skeleton shirt came from Amy and worked great since Drew wouldn't wear a costume. Thanks Amy! We went over to see the apartment manager, who gave the kids a ton of candy since it was just before closing.


My pumpkin and Darth Vader. I think Lily's costume turned out cute!

We then went to our ward party. They had some games for the kids, then a chili cook-off, followed by some trick-or-treating around the church thanks to the youth. The kids had enough candy from this that we didn't need to go out around the neighborhood, even though the snow was all melted and the weather was pretty nice. Daniel made his vegetarian chili for the cook-off and won "Best Vegetarian Chili." Way to go Daniel!


Yum! Yum! Yum!

After the party, we headed up to Longmont to see Scott, Debby and my grandparents, who moved up from Texas a week ago. The last time we saw them was May 2008, so the kids have changed a lot. They got to see Drew for the first time as well. The kids had a great time and we loved visiting with everyone! I'm so glad we'll be able to visit with my grandparents more often. They had some pictures of me when I was an infant. In one of them I looked very much like Drew. In fact, my cousin Tara saw the picture and thought it was Drew. She was amazed when she found out it was me. Welcome to Colorado Grandma and Grandpa! Can't wait to spend more time with you.


Getting ready to go trick or treat at Scott and Debby's.

We ended up getting home rather late, so the kids didn't get to bed until after 9:30. Even with the time change, they were still up at 7! I hope they adjust to this time change quickly because they've been up around 6 the past couple days and have a hard time making it until 7 pm. Well, Lily has a hard time anyway.

2 comments:

Jamie said...

I'm glad you guys had a fun Halloween. I need Daniel's chili recipe!

Cortney Clegg said...

Cute costumes- that's awesome that you made Lily's! And way to go Dan & his chili! :)