Tuesday, September 29, 2009

First Big Haircut

Daniel and I gave Drew his first big haircut today. He's had a few trims in the past, but his hair was just so shaggy that we couldn't take it anymore. He had to tip his head back a bit to see us. We borrowed clippers from my friend and used the longest setting she had. Daniel cut while I tried to hold a wiggly 1 year old relatively still. We made the first pass and it still looked really scraggly, so we set the clippers down one setting and made another pass. It looked pretty good once we were done, but Drew was not very happy by the time we finished. He was crying and his head was really sweaty. After a shower to rinse off all the hair we ended up having to trim around his ears, a bit in front and a little on his neck in order to get some of the longer hairs we missed. He still has a few flyaway long pieces, but you can't really tell because he never stays still long enough to notice. We did decide that we'll probably take him somewhere next time because we couldn't get it perfect. It's good enough for now though. He looks so much like Erik now.


This is only about 2/3 of what we cut off. The rest was all over us.


The end result. What a cute boy!


Sorry this picture is blurry, but his face is too cute! He just doesn't hold still long enough.


After we finished, Lily told me she wanted her hair cut. I've been trying to let her bangs grow out, but they seem to have gotten stuck about halfway to the length of the rest of her hair. Now I'm not sure what to do. I really would like her bangs to grow out, but it's starting to drive me crazy because she won't let me do her hair everyday, so it's always hanging in her face, as you can see in the picture.


Notice Lily's long "bangs". Should I cut them or not?

I didn't take a before picture of Drew today, but look back a few posts, then imagine his hair a bit longer. He doesn't look as much like a baby now, but it didn't bother me as much as Erik, probably since he (Drew) isn't the first one.
Erik is still loving school and is doing so well. He's starting to read and write a bit and amazes me everyday. I'm going to be helping in his classroom for an hour each week while they do centers. Erik's excited to have me at school. I better enjoy that while it lasts, since I know as he gets older he won't like it as much! Lily is learning her letters and trying to write words as well. She's still VERY independent and vocal, but we love her. Drew is starting to try standing on his own, and once in awhile will take a few steps, but not very often. I hope he starts walking soon because he is getting WAY too heavy to carry around all the time. He doesn't talk either... he just points and grunts to show us what he wants. It's effective, but I think we give in too easily. We're trying to get him to say words to express his wants. I'll let you know how effective that is.


Erik and Lily playing in the soapy water.

I've started walking/jogging/running since we canceled our gym membership. The monthly fee was alright, but it was the time and gas to get there that just made us not go as often as we wanted. I've only been running for two weeks, so I'm not at the point where I'm good at it or enjoy it.... yet. I'm going to keep at it for 8 weeks, following the 5k training schedule I found online. With this schedule, I run on T/Th/Sat and then rest/run/walk on M/W/F. Sunday is supposed to be an hour walk. I followed this for the first two weeks. Now I'm wondering what I should do on the rest days. Should I run/walk, ride the bike or lift light weights? All you runners out there.... what do you recommend? What would be the most effective way to increase my endurance? I already know I need to get better shoes, but I'm going to have to wait until I start subbing and can save some money. Any other suggestions?
Daniel is still working second shift and enjoys his work. He likes the guys he works with at night and we get to see quite a bit of him during the day. We are loving are time here in Colorado and I'm excited for the fall weather and beautiful scenery as the leaves begin changing colors.

4 comments:

Dan and LaVon said...

Hang in there with Lilly's bangs, You've come this far and endured already so much in this process, they will get past this stage and you will be glad. Way to go in the running arena!!!

Dawn said...

I am new to cutting boys hair so I am no help there. I just ran a 5K a month ago. As far as your days off....I rode my bike which I liked alot for cross training. If you want endurance then I would do sprint/walks for one of my runs. Sprint for 3 minutes walk for 2 and repeat until you have done it for 30 min. You can increase your running and decrease your walking if that is too easy. Also you can walk up a hilly area for one of your walks!! Good luck!

Jamie said...

very handsome! Oh and I was going to suggest you look into the 5k training program called "couch to 5K" (C25K) My SIL had a goal to run a 5K (not walk at all) and she said that was the best program to help her get ready. My biggest advice with running is to find a running partner.

MAstle said...

And remember that running isn't for everyone. I pretty much gave up running when I had knee surgery (doctor said I'd get arthritis since part of the bone is not protected by the meniscus). Supposedly you can get a lot of benefit and burn the same energy by walking the same distance, it just takes longer. Bicycles and swimming are easier on your joints and more fun. Well, swimming is boring, but biking is always fun. I love hiking, but you can't do that every day.