On the third Saturday in September, Broomfield has the Broomfield Days Celebration. There is a parade, car show, dog show, 3 stages with entertainment, carnival rides, food booths and local vendors selling their crafts. The parade and booths are made up of local businesses, schools, churches, etc. The kids had never seen a parade, so Daniel and I decided to take them, even though we both hate parades. I think they are very boring and too long. Daniel went to get cash, and by the time he got back it was time for Drew to have a nap. Daniel took him home to nap and he ended up sleeping for 3 hours, so they never made it over to the park. Anyway, Erik and Lily's friend was marching with his scout trip and Erik's school had a float as well so we decided to support them. We saw some cool entries: a bagpipe group that was amazing,
some cool high school marching bands and a Mexican restaurant that had flamenco dancers and marching horses, a few of which were the tallest horses I have ever seen!

The really tall horse isn't in this picture. It came after these horses.
I swear that the back of at least one of them was taller than Daniel. I was amazed!
Erik's school and our friend's scout troop were about the middle of the parade. As soon as the kids saw Tristan they asked to go do something else.

Erik's school, Emerald Elementary

The scouts in our ward. Tristan is right in the middle, next to the leader in the dark shirt.
Erik then told me that the parade was boring, but then asked if we could watch it every year. What a crazy kid. I'm hoping that they won't want to go to anymore.... unless it's an awesome parade like the Rose Parade or Macy's Thanksgiving Parade. I'll make an exception for those.

The color guard at the beginning of the parade.

An old fashioned fire truck. The kids loved this.

I wouldn't mind this mustang.
They had fun carnival rides, including lots of inflatable slides and a few small motorized rides. Erik and Lily LOVED the huge slides, which shouldn't be too surprising since they love Kangaroo Zoo. The biggest slide there was called Mount Rushmore and it was taller than any inflatable slide I've seen anywhere else. I thought Lily might get scared, but I shouldn't have worried. She got right up there and flew down that slide, laughing the entire time. Their friend, who is Erik's age, got up to the top, freaked out, and climbed back down. Lily is one brave girl! I only lost Lily twice, and luckily it was just for about a minute. Both times she saw a ride she wanted to go on and headed over to watch it. Luckily, a neighbor girl came with us since her mom wasn't able to make it over for the parade. She's in 4th grade and loves playing with Erik and Lily. She went on many of the rides with Lily and was able to help her when needed. Thanks Torree. They wanted to play a few of the games, but they took cash and I REFUSE to play carnival games since they are a scam. I could go buy the crappy prize for less money to win it playing the game.

Erik flying down the slide.

Lily having a blast!

Her face says it all. I love it!

Mt. Rushmore-this picture only shows the bottom half of the slide.
I didn't get many pictures of Erik going down the slides because he wouldn't wait for me... he just went.

Lily, Carson and Torree on a version of the "Scrambler." Neither Lily nor Carson wanted to spin too much, which was good because I didn't want any puking kids.

Erik (black shirt) on the scrambler ride with Tristan (brown shirt), Austin (fire hat), and Max (next to Erik).

Lily in the squirrel cage. She was content to go by herself. She's so cute!

Erik liked the swings. I'm glad my kids aren't scared to try new things.
After the rides I let the kids choose
1 thing to eat. I said they only got to choose one since fair food is outrageously priced, although it's soooo good. We had nachos, ice cream, a snow cone and a funnel cake. The funnel cake was for me because they are so yummy. I haven't had one since high school..... it was just as good as I remembered!
We ended up staying at the park for 5 hours. Of course none of us had on sunscreen. I don't know why I don't think "Oh, we're going to be out in the sun all day, we should probably wear sunscreen." When we got home our faces and necks were bright red... not pink... RED! I think between the time we got home at 2:30 and bedtime at 8:30 I applied aloe 4 times! One of those times was with the nice, cold, medicated blue aloe vera. I love that stuff! Now, the day after, we look better, but we're still pretty pink. Erik and Lily were troopers though and didn't complain. Now I'm glad Daniel and Drew never made it over because Drew would have been one UNHAPPY baby.

Lily, the day after. Notice her cheeks, nose, hairline and neck are very pink. Yesterday it was red. This is after about 6 applications of aloe.
I had a fun day with my kids and am so glad we were able to experience Broomfield Days. We will definitely go again next year..... but we'll take LOTS of sunscreen. We enjoyed being together with friends and I loved seeing them have so much fun! I love my kids so much, and sometimes that means doing things that I don't necessarily enjoy, like going to parades. The things we do for our kids...
I'm so glad the kids like playing together. Drew loves Erik and Lily and always wants to play with them, even though they don't always want him to. This night, Erik and Drew were being silly. It was so cute!

Drew's new trick. All three kids have done this. Erik and Lily would lift up their arms as well, but Drew hasn't gotten that daring yet.

Peek-a-boo, I see Drew.

Erik being crazy. Lily wasn't in these pictures because she was having a meltdown in the bathroom, not sure why. I think it had something to do with wanting someone to turn on the light in her room, even though it was already on. Not sure.... I just try to ignore her crying.

Erik took this picture. Turned out pretty well I think.
2 comments:
Looks like alot of fun! And I love the "kid-trick".
I'd rather ride a four-legged mustang. At least his back end wouldn't fall off in the middle of a parade.
Post a Comment