Last week I signed Erik and Lily up for a class at the rec center. The first half of the class is gymnastics and the second half is swimming lessons. Today was Lily's first day of class. Yesterday she was so excited about going. Last summer when Erik took swimming lessons Lily asked me everyday if she could do it too. Since she wasn't 3 the only way she could take lessons was in a mommy/toddler class. I wasn't going to do that since I was 7.5 months pregnant. Since she loves swimming and is pretty fearless most of the time, I decided to get her in lessons before she was 4. Even though she was excited about the class yesterday, this morning she wasn't so excited.
In the gymnastics class, the kids split into small groups of 4 kids. Lily's group jumped on the trampoline, walked and jumped on the balance beam and then jumped in the big foam pit. Well, everyone except Lily did these things. Lily refused to do anything. She just sat on the floor next to the trampoline. She wouldn't even move with her group to the other activities. Finally, when the rest of the kids were playing in the foam pit Lily started scooting towards it. She was still down at the other end of the trampoline. She made it to the foam pit and just hung her feet over the side, like in a swimming pool. Just when she looked like she might go in, class was over. (I watched all of the non-activity from outside the gym, thinking she might do better if I wasn't in the room.) I didn't get any pictures of this because she didn't do anything. I'll take her to watch Erik's class on Wednesday. Maybe seeing him do all the activities will show her she doesn't need to be scared and might actually have fun. Hopefully, next Monday will be better.
She did like the swimming. This was her first experience in a class, but she did pretty well. She wouldn't put her face in the water or splash/kick at first. I thought this was weird since this is all she does whenever she takes a bath. She loves playing in the water when we go swimming on our own, too. Finally, she started letting the teachers take her out to do back and tummy floats, as well as doing "big arms" and putting her lips in the water. I know she liked this because she actually smiled. She also told me she wanted to go back to swimming lessons (but not gymnastics). This girl LOVES jumping around at home on furniture. She also likes jumping on Grandma Dub's trampoline. What a crazy girl. I'll get more pictures next week. Here are a few of her swimming (or rather, holding onto the side waiting for her turn).
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Maybe you could start your own gym where the trampolines are shaped like couches, chairs, and beds. Than all the kids would love jumping on them.
That's a good idea. I should do that.
It will get better! What a cool combo gymnastics and swimming! That is what we are doing this summer but they are at two different places and two different times...ugh!
Post a Comment