Monday, June 8, 2009
Proud Moment
This morning Daniel, the kids and I drove down into Denver so I could drop off my fingerprint card at the Colorado Bureau of Investigation. (I'm planning on subbing a bit come fall, so I have to get a background check, which takes some time.) Erik and Lily came into the building with me, which was located in a large complex of office buildings. We parked about 4 rows away from the building, so we crossed a drive path, went through two rows of parking spots and crossed another drive path before getting to the building. When we were headed back to our car, Erik went up one side of parked cars while Lily and I went up the other. There was a FedEx delivery truck coming up the drive path we had to cross to get to our car. As I mentioned, Erik was on the other side of the parked cars so I couldn't see him. He stopped to wait for me and look for cars before crossing the drive path. Luckily, the driver saw us and was waiting and Erik waited, which he does most of the time. We proceeded to cross the drive path and get into the car. As we were buckling up, a lady came up and knocked on Daniel's window. It was the FedEx driver. She told us that Erik was "a good boy." She told us she was so proud of him for stopping and waiting and not just running out in front of her truck. She then complimented us for teaching him to be safe and said "most parents don't pay attention and their kids just run out in front of cars." We thanked her and she left. We made sure Erik knew that she thought he had done an excellent job and told him we were proud of him as well. This made me feel good, not only for Erik, but also because this concept is something I have worked hard to instill in my kids. Erik usually remembers to stop and look for cars. Lily remembers most of the time, but she still forgets once in awhile. We'll keep working, but it's nice to know that the things we repeatedly teach them do sink in after awhile. Good job, Erik!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I cannot believe the lady stopped to tell you! THat s so cool.
That is awesome! Way to go Erik! Right now I feel like I teach Malea things and they go in one ear and out the other, but it will be nice to know that one day it will pay off! I know she is still pretty young to remember things, but I get so tired of repeating myself sometimes! I can't wait to see you guys at the reunion! :D
Post a Comment